The Sari Sale - Kanjeevarams at a Discount

Monday, August 22, 2005

How would you react if a character accosts you in a crowded place like a Bus Station and asks if you would buy a Rs. 15,000 worth Kanjeevaram Saree for Rs. 10,000?

I got such an offer while I was waiting for my bus to Hyderabad at the Bangalore Bus Station. This Character stood silently by my side and whispered the offer, in Telugu. Kanjeevarams are the last thing on your mind at a crowded and noisy bus station. Since I heard it in my own language, I smiled at him and politely turned down the offer. Character shrugged it off and waylaid another unsuspecting guy. Unsuspecting Guy looked at Character and said, in Telugu again something to this effect " Why would a saree shop owner need to buy sarees from a Character in a bus station, of all places?" and told the Character to get lost.
Unsuspecting Guy (UG) then turned to me and and asked me if I was from Andhra.

Me: Yes
UG: Look at his audacity, trying to sell sarees to me.
Me: Hmm
UG: I sell a thousand sarees a month and he thinks he can trick me. The *&#^&
Me: Huh!
UG: So, where are you from?
Me: Vijayawada
UG: Ohh, I am also from Vijayawada. I own a saree shop there. Where do you stay in Vijayawada?
Me: Near Maris Stella College. What about you?
UG: I stay close to Besant Road. We have a shop on Besant Road - Vijayalakshmi Cloth Stores. It’s directly below 'Thummidi Brothers'

(Besant Road is the commercial hub of Vijayawada and 'Thummidi Brothers' is a famous shop for sarees and other dress materials on Besant Road)
Me: Ohh. Then I must've surely visited your shop sometime.
UG: Yeah, you must have. We do a roaring business. I come regularly to Bangalore to buy Sarees. Say, why don’t we take a look at Character's sarees. What’s the harm in taking a look? (The Character was just passing by again)
I shrug!

UG: Yo, Character (C) over there. Come here. Show us what you got.
C : Sir, lets go to the corner. I don’t want everyone peeking at my stuff.

He leads the way to a corner.
UG to me: Look at him being so careful. I bet he looted that stuff from someplace.
C : Sir, Look at these. 100% original Kanjeevaram. Kanchi Pattu Sarees. You will get them outside for not less than 15000.

UG by now is busy opening the bag and sizing them up like a thorough professional. He scratches the 'zari border' of one of them.
C : Careful sir, don’t scratch'em like that. You will ruin my sarees.

UG is thoroughly angry.
UG: Shut up. Don’t you go teaching me how to handle sarees. I own a saree shop. A thousand such things pass through my hands everyday. Should I tell you the types of sarees. Kanchi, Arani, Dharmavaram, Benaras, KothaKota, Gwalior ........

He proceeded to give a short lecture to C on the various types of sarees. C is thoroughly miffed at the sudden outburst of anger and knowledge from UG. He apologises profusely and asks UG to handle them the way he likes.

UG is now talking to me.
UG: Sir, between us, this stuff is HOT. This is original, take my word. This Character has looted this stuff from somewhere. Damn! I don’t have any money to buy this stuff. I spent it all on buying sarees from the wholesalers here. What price did he quote you anyway?
Me: Uhh..10,000.
UG: A 15000 Rs worth saree at 10000. It’s a terrific deal. But lets get it down further. Leave it to me. Hey C, say how about giving this for 5000?

To be Continued....

0 comments: